Passionfruit and Maple Caramel
Milk Chocolate Mousse
Bourbon and Passionfruit Gel
Maple Crème Patissiere
Brown Sugar Pecans
- Preheat oven to 170°C fan forced.
- For the Passionfruit Curd, place gelatine in a small bowl and cover with cold water. Set aside for approximately 5 minutes until pliable.
- In a small saucepan, bring the passionfruit puree to the boil over medium heat.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl whisk together the eggs and sugar then set aside.
- Once the puree has come to the boil, remove from the heat and pour into the egg and sugar mixture whilst whisking to combine. Pour the mixture back into the saucepan and place onto medium heat. Whisk continually until the mixture reaches 84°C.
- Drain the gelatine and squeeze out excess water then add to the puree, whisking to combine. Strain the mixture into a medium bowl, cover with cling film and set aside in the fridge to cool to 40C.
- Once cooled, remove clingfilm and blend in the butter with a stick blender. Transfer to a piping bag and place in the fridge until required.
- For the Passionfruit and Maple Caramel, make a caramel by combining the sugar and glucose syrup in a fry pan. Place over medium heat and cook until amber in colour.
- Meanwhile, warm the cream, puree, vanilla bean and maple syrup in a saucepan.
- Once the caramel is amber, whisk in the butter until combined then add the warmed cream mixture. Bring the mixture to the boil to ensure all lumps are dissolved.
- Strain the caramel into an airtight container and set aside on the bench to cool.
- Once cooled, transfer to a piping bag and set aside on the bench until required.For the Milk Chocolate Mousse, place gelatine in a small bowl and cover with cold water. Set aside for approximately 5 minutes until pliable.
- In a small saucepan over medium high heat bring the milk and glucose to a boil.
- Drain the gelatine and squeeze out excess water then add to the milk and whisk until combined.
- Strain over the milk chocolate and stir until the chocolate is melted and the mixture is combined. Set aside to cool to 40°C.
- Once cool, fold through the semi-whipped cream then transfer to a piping bag. Set aside in the fridge until required.
- For the Maple Cake, combine flour, brown sugar, baking powder and bicarb soda in a bowl.
- Combine eggs, maple syrup, milk, canola oil and bourbon then add to the dry ingredients and stir to combine.
- Pour into a greased and lined 20cm x 20cm baking tray and bake at 170°C for 30 minutes.
- Once cooked, place on a wire rack and set aside on the bench to cool.
- For the Bourbon and Passionfruit Gel, make a caramel by combining sugar and water in a saucepan, place over high heat and cook until a golden caramel forms.
- Meanwhile in a separate saucepan, combine the passionfruit puree, bourbon and maple syrup and warm over medium heat.
- Remove the caramel from the heat and cautiously add the warmed puree mixture and agar agar, whisking to combine.
- Return to the heat and bring the caramel back to the boil for 2 minutes whilst stirring.
- Pour into a tray and place in the fridge to set.
- Once set, transfer the set mixture to a blender and blend until smooth. Transfer to a piping bag and set aside in the fridge until required.
- For the Maple Crème Patissiere, place gelatine in a small bowl and cover with cold water. Set aside for approximately 5 minutes until pliable. Once pliable, drain the gelatine and squeeze out excess water. Set aside until required.
- Combine the milk and vanilla paste in a saucepan, place over medium to high heat and bring to the boil.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the egg yolks, maple syrup, cornflour and custard powder then slowly add the hot milk, whisking to combine then return the mixture to the saucepan and return to the heat. Bring the mixture back to the boil and continue to cook until the mixture thickens.
- Remove from the heat and whisk in the softened gelatine and then the butter.
- Reserve 300g into a container, cover with clingfilm and set aside on the bench to cool to 50°C.
- For the Maple Diplomat, combine the maple crème patissiere, white chocolate and salt in the jug of a Thermomix. Blend at 50°C on speed 4 until smooth then pour onto a tray and allow to cool.
- Once cool, fold through the whipped cream and transfer to a piping bag fitted with a 5mm piping nozzle.
- Pour liquid nitrogen into a stainless-steel tray then pipe the mixture into the liquid to create an abstract shape. Using a slotted spoon, remove the piped maple diplomat and place onto a lined baking tray. Place in the freezer until ready to serve.
- For the Brown Sugar Pecans, combine all ingredients in a medium frypan. Place over medium heat and cook until the mixture is caramel in colour and the pecans are coated and sticky.
- Pour onto a lightly oiled baking tray and spread out to a single layer. Set aside on the bench to cool.
- For the Cocoa crumble, combine all ingredients and mix until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Spread evenly onto a lined baking tray and bake at 170°C for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally to spread the baked crumble.
- For the Maple Ice-cream, combine all ingredients in a saucepan and blend with a stick blender.
- Place over medium high heat and bring the mixture to 85°C to pasteurise.
- Pour the mixture onto a tray and place into the fridge to cool completely.
- Once cooled, transfer to an ice-cream machine and churn according to manufacturer instructions.
- To assemble, using a 5cm round cutter, cut out a disc of the maple cake.
- Using a 1.5cm round cutter, cut out the centre of the 5cm disc. You should be left with a ring of maple cake.
- Place the ring of maple cake into the centre of the serving plate then pipe 1 teaspoon of the passionfruit and maple caramel and 1 teaspoon of the bourbon and passionfruit gel into the middle of the cake to fill the cavity.
- Pipe dollops of the milk chocolate mousse around the outside of the cake and then pipe the passionfruit curd in between the milk chocolate mousse.
- Roughly chop the brown sugar pecans and place approximately 1 ½ teaspoons on top of the maple cake.
- Place a rocher of maple ice-cream on top of the brown sugar pecans then garnish with edible flowers.
- Place the frozen maple diplomat on top of the ice-cream, sprinkle 1 tablespoon of cocoa crumble on top then garnish with gold leaf.