Episodes
Video Extras
ArticlesLinks
More
Back

'Thousands More' ADF Personnel To Head To Flooded Areas As Sydney Braces For Rain

Thousands more Australian Defence Force personnel will arrive in flood-affected communities in northern NSW and south-east Queensland in coming days, as parts of Sydney brace for further rainfall.

Defence Minister Peter Dutton said the number of defence troops assisting flood recovery efforts would rise to 5000 by the end of the week.

Mr Dutton has defended the timing of the arrival of the ADF to help with the clean-up, after residents on the ground argued not enough was being done.

"It wasn't feasible ... to be dropping out personnel into those areas that they were rescuing people from," Mr Dutton told the Nine Network on Tuesday.

"So naturally, as the waters recede, you will see a greater number of people on the ground."

NSW Premier Dominic Perrottet said 900 ADF troops would be arriving in northern parts of the state on Tuesday.

"We want the clean up to be conducted as quickly as possible, so we can get these communities back on their feet," he told ABC Radio.

Defence troops took part in as many as 113 rescues during major flooding last week.

Mr Dutton said many of the most affected areas were still unreachable due to the weather.

"In some of the areas, (locals) want to get bulldozers or bobcats or trucks in, but the roads are inaccessible," he said.

"They will be working on trying to reform those roads, but that doesn't happen in the first 15 minutes ... this is going to be a rebuild that's going to take weeks and months, and in some cases, years."

ADF troops coming into flood areas will spend the coming days helping to clear roads and fixing telecommunication networks and will use helicopters to drop critical supplies to cut-off communities.

However, opposition disaster and emergency management spokesman Murray Watt said there had been a lack of government support for some of the regions hardest hit.

Senator Watt said more ADF personnel and government assistance was needed.

"Locals are really grateful for the small number of ADF personnel who are here, but we need a massive injection of personnel and support more generally," he told ABC television.

"Right now is when we need to see khaki on the ground, this is a national-scale emergency."

The death toll from the southeast Queensland flood disaster has risen to 13 and six people have died in NSW, taking the national toll to 19.

Prime Minister Scott Morrison has said a further round of financial assistance would be provided to affected areas of Queensland and NSW.

As of Monday, more than 163,000 relief claims had been lodged with the government, with more than $193 million had been spent on disaster recovery payments.

Communities living along 1000km of the NSW east coast are in for a drenching and more flooding on Tuesday and thousands of people in Sydney's south and southwest have been ordered to evacuate.