The Russian foreign ministry has imposed sanctions on U.S. President Joe Biden and 12 other U.S. officials, including Hillary Clinton. The sanctions block their entry into Russia and freeze any assets held in the country.
The ministry has said the sanctions would not impede necessary high-level contacts for the affected individuals.
The list includes –
- Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Mark Milley
- National Security Adviser Jake Sullivan
- Deputy National Security Adviser Daleep Singh
- US Agency for International Development (USAID) Administrator Samantha Power
- Deputy Secretary of the Treasury Wally Adeyemo
- President of the Export-Import Bank of the US Reta Jo Lewis
Many western countries have already sanctioned many of Russia’s top officials, including President Vladimir Putin, Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov and Kremlin press secretary Dmitry Peskov.
Outside of the Ukraine conflict, this could have some genuine consequences.
The U.S. and Russia had hoped to co-operate on Iranian nuclear negotiations, counterterrorism, global warming and other pressing international issues.