Video Extras

New South Wales Records 478 New Cases As Darwin Heads Back Into Lockdown

NSW has reported another record daily high with 478 new locally acquired cases of COVID-19, with at least 91 of them circulating in the community for all or part of their infectious period.

The state also reported eight deaths, including 15-year-old Osama Suduh, who is the youngest person in Australia to die with the virus.

Premier Gladys Berejiklian said the transmission numbers were "disturbingly high".

"We know the vaccines are working. It is important for us all to protect our loved ones and ourselves by getting vaccinated," she said on Monday.

Escalating cases were recorded in Greenacre, Bankstown, Marylands, Guildford, Granville, Blacktown, Mount Druitt, and Yagoona, the premier said.

Victoria has recorded 22 new locally acquired coronavirus cases as police probe an alleged Melbourne engagement party that may have been attended by an infected person.

The health department on Monday confirmed 17 of the new cases are linked to known outbreaks and 14 were in quarantine during their infectious period.

It means five of the new infections are mystery cases.

Some 29,986 tests were processed in the 24 hours to Monday morning, while 19,880 Victorians were vaccinated at state-run hubs.

Queensland has recorded zero new virus cases as tough new measures at the state's border result in significant delays for drivers in the southeast.

Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk said delays of up to an hour had eased since 9am and reinforced the message for residents not to travel unless absolutely necessary.

"NSW is currently in lockdown, there are stay-at-home provisions, so the movement needs to be minimal," Ms Palaszczuk said on Monday.

"These strict border measures are necessary, and they will be enforced."

The most significant delays were seen on the Gold Coast as police tighten controls in response to a statewide COVID-19 lockdown in NSW.

The past 24 hours has seen more than 600 cars turned around, compared to less than 100 per day last week, Queensland Police Deputy Commissioner Steve Gollschewski said.