Episodes
Video Extras
ArticlesLinks
More
Back

Melbourne Diners Snap Up $2.7 Million In Rebates

Victoria has recorded 1196 new COVID-19 cases and three deaths as diners clamour for inner Melbourne dining rebates.

More than half of the $5 million midweek voucher scheme designed to lure people into the city after lockdown has been gobbled up in six days.

Diners are able to claim 30 per cent off bills - up to $150 - at inner Melbourne restaurants, cafes and bars where meals are served between Monday and Thursday each week under the initiative.

City of Melbourne council says $450,000 has been claimed on average each day so far, compared with $250,000 daily in the previous round.

Lord Mayor Sally Capp said the strong demand was expected to result in the funds drying up next week.

"If you want to take advantage of the scheme, it's time to make plans to dine in the coming days to make sure you don't miss out," she said in a statement on Wednesday.

The bid to revive the lockdown-hit city comes as Victoria reported three further deaths and 1196 new COVID-19 cases, a rise of 383 from Tuesday's figure.

It brings the number of active cases in the state to 9774, including 284 in hospital, lowering the seven-day average to 308.

There are 52 people in intensive care actively infectious, while 53 of them have been cleared of the virus and 29 are on a ventilator.

The latest deaths take the state's toll from the pandemic to 1302.

Some 72,754 tests were processed on Tuesday, while 3358 vaccine doses were administered at state-run hubs.

More than 89 per cent of Victorians aged 12 and over are now fully vaccinated.

The Victorian government eased a raft of restrictions on Friday, having expected to reach the 90 per cent vaccination target at the weekend.

AAP with The Project