Victoria has recorded its sixth consecutive day with no new locally acquired cases of COVID-19, as the 2021 Australian Grand Prix is expected to be cancelled.
Victoria has gone six days without a locally acquired case of coronavirus, as the Australian Grand Prix is expected to be cancelled for the second successive year.
The health department on Tuesday confirmed there were two new COVID-19 cases in hotel quarantine, bringing the total number of active infections in the state to 25.
Some 22,149 tests were processed in the 24 hours to Tuesday morning, while 15,451 Victorians received a vaccine dose at one of the state-run hubs.
Just five of the active cases were locally acquired and authorities are confident they have stamped out outbreaks of COVID-19 in the state.
They have flagged a possible easing of mask-wearing rules and increasing capacity at stadiums and theatres on Thursday, although plans to return to "COVID-normal" settings could be delayed due to outbreaks in NSW and Queensland.
It comes as Victorian Sports Minister Martin Pakula and Australian Grand Prix chief executive Andrew Westacott are expected to announce the cancellation of the multimillion dollar event on Tuesday afternoon.
The 2021 race had been pushed back from its regular early season timeslot to November in the hope COVID-19 restrictions would have eased by then.
Australia's strict international travel and quarantine conditions are believed to be behind the cancellation.
"With travel caps being halved, with us not yet being at a critical mass of the Victorians and Australians who've gotten the jab, we are a long way away from that," Premier Daniel Andrews said.
He said once 70 to 80 per cent of Victorians were vaccinated, the state would have the "protection, freedom, choices and options" to run big international events.
"We've worked very closely with all of our partners, particularly F1, and indeed the Moto GP as well, but some things are possible in a pandemic and some things are really hard," Mr Andrews said.
Last year's F1 grand prix at Albert Park was cancelled in March, at the start of the pandemic.