Garnish and Sides
- In a wok or deep fryer, heat oil over medium-high heat (180’c)
- For the pork. Make small slits around the outer edge, this allows pork to stay flat and not curl when cooked. Beat pork with a meat mallet or heavy frypan to tenderise the meat.
- Season both sides of pork with salt and pepper. Dip pork in flour, covering both sides, shake off any excess. Add soy sauce to beaten egg and combine (this is optional), dip both sides of pork into egg mixture, covering. Finally, dredge in panko crumbs, pressing to coat. Ensure pork is completely covered.
- Gently lower pork into oil, fry for 1 ½ minutes on one side and turn and cook a further minute, crumbs should be golden and crunchy. Remove from oil and allow to drain on a wire rack. Repeat with remaining pork.
- For the Tempura; heat oil over medium-high heat (180’c). ensure all your vegetables are prepared and ready.
- In a bowl add 1 cup of tempura flour and chilled soda water, mix lightly with chopsticks or a whisk. Batter should be thin and just thick enough to coat and stick to vegetables. Over mixing will make batter chewy, some lumps in the batter are ok.
- Working quickly with one vegetable at a time, dip vegetable into flour to dust, shake off excess then immerse into batter, ensuring vegetable is covered. Carefully place into hot oil. Using chopsticks or wooden spoon, gently rotate vegetable until cooked and evenly crisp, approximately 1 – 3 mins depending on density of vegetable. Remove from oil with a sieve and drain on wire rack. Repeat with remaining vegetables.
- For the sushi rice, wash rice in a strainer until water runs clear. Place rice and water in a saucepan, cover with lid and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15-18 mins, or until all of the liquid is absorbed and rice is tender. Remove from heat and stand covered for 5 minutes.
- Transfer rice to a bowl, drizzle sushi seasoning over rice and gently fold using a spatula in a slicing and lifting motion. Allow rice to cool, this can be by fanning or setting aside until room temperature.
- Place spoonful of rice into a small bowl, gently pressing to mould.
- To serve Bento box, into suitably sized and separate compartments, place sliced pork, tempura and sliced sashimi. Turn out moulded rice into another compartment and sprinkle with black sesame seeds. In remaining compartments add seaweed salad, garnishing with toasted sesame seeds and sliced red chilli. Finally add kewpie mayo sprinkled with togarashi, pickled ginger, soy dressing and finely sliced nori.