- Preheat the oven to 160C (fan-forced). Grease a 25cm round cake pan. Line base and side with baking paper.
- Beat butter and sugar in a large bowl of an electric mixer, using the whisk attachment, until light and fluffy. Add lemon, vanilla beans and rose syrup and beat until combined. Beat in eggs, one at a time, until combined (mixture may look curdled but will come together with the dry ingredients).
- Add semolina, pistachio meal and combined sifted flour and baking powder and fold until well combined
- Spoon mixture into prepared pan and smooth over top. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Stand in pan for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool.
- Repeat Steps 2 and 3 to make another two cakes.
- For middle tier, follow Steps 2 and 3, twice, and divide cake mixture between two x 20cm cake pans. Bake cakes for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- For top tier, follow Steps 2 and 3 and divide cake mixture among four x 15cm cake pans. Bake cakes for 25 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- To make buttercream, combine egg whites and sugar in a large heatproof bowl. Sit bowl over a saucepan of simmering water. Gently whisk for about 8 to 10 minutes, or until sugar is dissolved and mixture reaches 70degrees on a sugar thermometer. Remove from bowl from pan.
- Transfer mixture to a large bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a whisk attachment. Beat on medium speed until room temperature (about 10 minutes). Add butter and beat until combined and thickened.
- Repeat Step 8 to make another batch of buttercream.
- Place half the buttercream in a large bowl, reserving remaining. Add 1 cup lemon curd and gently fold to combine.
- To decorate, place one 25cm round cake on a 33cm round cake board. Spread top with 1½ cups lemon curd buttercream. Repeat layering with remaining two 25cm cakes, inverting the top cake. Spread some of the reserved buttercream around side and on top of cake, scraping away excess to create the semi-naked look. Refrigerate.
- Repeat Step 11 with 20cm round cakes using a 20cm cardboard round on the base. Sandwich cakes using 1 cup lemon buttercream between each layer. 14. Repeat Step 11 with 15cm round cakes using a 15cm cardboard round on the base. Sandwich cakes using ½ cup lemon buttercream between each layer.
- To assemble, place 20cm cake tier on top of 25cm cake tier. Fill gap with a little buttercream. Place 15cm cake tier on top of 20cm cake tier and fill gap with a little buttercream.
- Decorate top with roses, strawberries, raspberries, figs, nougat, Turkish delight, slivered pistachios and dried rose buds and petals.
- To make pistachio meal, process pistachios in a food processor until finely chopped.
- Turkish delight, slivered pistachios, dried rose buds and petals and rose syrup is all available from most Woolworths supermarkets.