- To hollow out the pumpkin. Preheat oven to 180C fan-forced. Place the pumpkin on a chopping board standing up (you may need to trim the base slightly so it sits straight) Using a piece of clean hollow pipe PVC pipe about 4cm diameter 25cm long), and a hammer, hit the pipe through the centre of the pumpkin to core out pumpkin, remove pipe and centre piece of pumpkin using the end of a wooden spoon.
- For the filling. Grate the centre piece of pumpkin. Crack the egg into a medium bowl and whisk with a fork. Add the grated pumpkin, onion, garlic, parsley, macadamias, fetta, rice and 1 tbs olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Mix to combine.
- Fill the cavity. Spoon the mixture into the cavity of pumpkin and pack tightly using the end of a wooden spoon until filled. Spoon remaining filling into a piece of greased aluminium foil and roll up to enclose.
- Roast pumpkin. Pour the rock salt into a small roasting pan. Rub the skin of the pumpkin with a little oil and salt. Put the pumpkin and the roll of filling onto rock salt and roast for 40 mins, turn over and roast for a further 30-40 mins or until just tender (depending on size of pumpkin), you don’t want it to over-cook and become too soft to carve.
- Serve it up. Stand in pan for 10 mins. Transfer to a board and carve into slices. Serve with hummus.
- You can use a cup of microwave rice if you don’t have cooked rice.