Tomato Sauce (Makes 600mls)
- For the dough, in a bowl combine water and salt and allow to dissolve
- Add ½ cup of the flour and mix. Mix well; add more flour and the yeast. Continue to add the remaining flour and mix well until combined. Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface, knead until smooth and elastic. This can take up to 10 minutes.
- Place the dough into a lightly floured bowl, cover with a damp cloth and set aside. Let the dough rest for 30 mins in a warm place.
- Meanwhile, for the sauce, heat oil in a large wide-based pan over medium heat, add the garlic and cook gently for 1 minute, then add half the basil leaves, the tomato pulp, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Simmer for 35-45 mins or until very thick. Season to taste. Cool completely.
- Once the dough has rested and risen, place on a lightly floured bench, and divide into 8 round balls. (about 200g each). Rest for 20 mins.
- Stretch the dough by hand and place on a floured pizza peel or a square of floured baking paper. Press the dough down into a large flat disc using the palm of your hand. Next, use your fingers to press the dough out from the center, stretching the flat disc into a large circle.
- Spread the tomato sauce over the base, spreading it out to the edges. Tear over the mozzarella and scatter with the remaining basil leaves. Drizzle with some olive oil and season with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Cook, in batches, for 5-6 minutes, or until the pizzas are blistered, golden and crispy.