- In a mixing bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, salt, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, jalapeño, corn and green onion.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg with the buttermilk.
- Mix the buttermilk mixture into the dry ingredients. The dough should be thick enough to drop from a spoon slowly but easily.
- In a deep, 28cm frypan, heat oil for deep-frying. The hot oil should be about 3 inches deep, or deep enough for the hush puppies to float.
- Carefully drop the dough by heaped desertspoonfuls into the hot oil and fry, turning, until golden brown.
- Remove the hush puppies to paper towels to drain and keep warm while frying the rest.
- Serve with a small pot of aioli and scattered with extra green onions.
- To get the batter to drop from the spoon more easily, lightly coat it with a spray cooking oil. Test the oil with a little bit of the dough to see if hot enough