- Preheat the oven to 200C.
- Cut the brisket into large pieces, place the flour onto a large plate and season with salt and pepper. Lightly coat the brisket pieces in the seasoned flour.
- Heat a large oiled casserole pan over a medium heat. Cook the brisket in batches until browned all over, remove from pan and set aside on a plate.
- Place the casserole pan back over the heat, drizzle with oil, add the bacon, mushrooms, garlic, shallots and thyme cook stirring until mushrooms soften and shallots start to brown. Season.
- Add the carrots and leeks, continue to cook for 3-6 minutes.
- Place the brisket back in the pan, add the red wine, deglaze the pan but stirring the bottom of the pan, cook 1-2 minutes. Add the stock and bring to a simmer, place the lid on the pan and simmer for 2-2 ½ hours. Season.
- Lay the pastry on a clean flat surface, place the pie dishes onto on the pastry, cut around leaving a wide border for the sides of the dish. Cut lids from the remaining pastry.
- Press the pastry into the greased pie dishes, spoon the mixture into the dishes and top with the remaining pastry lids. Brush with egg wash. Place into the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes or until the pastry has puffed and is golden.