Spiced BBQ Chicken
African Sweet Potato Curry
Sweet Potato Leaf Dressing
- Preheat BBQ to medium-high heat.
- For the chicken, combine garlic, spices, salt, pepper and oil in a small bowl. Score butterflied chicken with a knife and rub spice mix over chicken and into the slashes.
- Place chicken on BBQ, skin side up, close BBQ lid and cook for 10 mins. Reduce heat to medium and cook with the lid down a further 20 – 25 mins or until cooked and juices run clear. Remove from heat and allow to rest.
- For the curry, in a large, heavy-based pot over medium heat, add cumin, coriander, cayenne and curry leaves. Shake the pan to toast the spices evenly. Once aromatic remove from the pan and set aside.
- In the same pot heat oil add onion, grated turmeric, garlic, ginger, jalapeno, toasted spices, cook, stirring for 2 mins. Add tomato paste, peanut butter and sweet potato, stir to combine. Add stock, cover, and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover with lid slightly ajar and cook until sweet potato is starting to become tender, approx. 25 mins, stir occasionally.
- To thicken the curry, gently mash some of the sweet potato with a wooden spoon, remove lid and cook a further 10 mins until slightly thicker.
- For the sweet potato dressing, place all the ingredients in a blender or bowl of a small processor and blitz until combined. Taste for seasoning and add more salt and /or lemon to your taste.
- To Serve: place curry in a large serving bowl and top with pieces of chicken, drizzle sweet potato leaf dressing. Sprinkle with crushed roasted peanuts and sprigs of coriander. Serve with brown rice.