- Cream the butter, sugar and balsamic vinegar together in a bowl. Add in the egg, flour, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger and salt and mix together, Next add in the milk and stir to combine. The dough will be slightly sticky. Roll between 2 sheets of baking paper and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- To make the sugar, mix the finely chopped bacon and brown and caster sugars together in a small bowl. Place the sugar mixture on a tray for later use. In a large bowl, whip the cream with icing sugar and fold in the maple syrup. Fill a piping bag with the cream and refrigerate for later use.
- Place oil in a large flat-bottomed pan and fill to halfway. Heat to about 180˚C (you can check with a thermometer, or until bubbles form around a wooden spoon).
- Meanwhile, remove the paper from the dough and the dough on a floured surface. Use a doughnut cutter to make circles.
- Fry the dough in batches for about 2- 3 mins or until brown, Turn and cook for a further 2 mins or again till brown. Use a slotted spoon to remove the doughnuts from the oil and drain any excess oil.
- Roll hot doughnut in bacon sugar. To serve, pipe some cream on top of each doughnut or, when cool, cut each doughnut in half horizontally, pipe the cream on the cut surface and sandwich together.