- Pre Heat oven to 200 degrees C.
- Mix together chopped dates, orange zest and juice in a bowl. Set aside to soak.
- Place the flour into a large mixing bowl along with the butter. Using clean hands and working quickly, rub the butter into the flour until it resembles fine bread crumbs.
- Mix the sugar through the flour and create a well in the center. Add in the date mixture and pour in the buttermilk. Using a cutting motion with butter knife, gently mix the dough until almost combined.
- Line a large baking tray with extra flour and turn the dough out onto the lined tray. Using floured hands, bring the dough together and flatten onto a circle around 5-6cm high. Try not to work the dough too much.
- Using a sharp knife, cut 12 wedges into the top and bake for 25 minutes, or until golden and fragrant. Serve scones warm with yoghurt and honey on the side.