Wallabies Cease the Drought

The Wallabies came, saw and crashed the party against the All Blacks, in the final match of the Rugby Championship and opener of the Bledisloe Cup.

The final test for the new look Wallabies side would come against their oldest and most competitive rival, who too had their own agenda to accomplish. All Blacks captain Richie McCaw playing his last test match on Australian soil, whilst late inclusion Sonny Bill Williams was out to prove himself. Both sides having so much to play for, the trans-Tasman clash in front of over seventy thousands fans would be one for the ages.   

The Wallabies kicked off the match, which saw the first error for the All Blacks. The early stages of the game proved it would be an extremely physical contest; with controversy striking in the 8th minute, after Nehe Milner-Skudder was able to make a break from the ruck.  The Wallabies crumpled under the defensive pressure from the All Blacks, as Sekope Kepu was placed in the sin bin for slowing down the play. The Wallabies were down to just 14 men as Dan Carter was able to convert the penalty goal, placing the Kiwis ahead.  The home side were unable to break any new barriers despite Matt Giteau’s tactical kicking game and the athleticism of Israel Folau. Though it wasn’t until the 26th minute that the Wallabies were able to put first points on the board, with a penalty conversion by Giteau. With few minutes to spare before half-time, the New Zealand side were able to hit back as they led 6 points to 3.

The recommencement of the second half saw no signs of the match slowing down. With the Wallabies dominating the scrum, the All Blacks were forced into repetitve defensive sets.  Though in a shock twist, the Kiwis’ were left with 14 men on the pitch, as Aaron Smith was sent from the field. The Australian side used this to their advantage, as Sekope Kepu was able to redeem himself and score the first try of the match. Although the victory was short lived, the All Blacks took the lead thanks to a successful penalty conversion by Carter. A quick shuffle by Coach Michael Cheika, the Wallabies were on the prowl again, with Adam Ashley-Cooper crossing for the Australian side. With the final leg of the match seeing the game go to and fro on the scoreboard, the home side were able to hold a 1 point lead. Australia had a prayer to be answered, which came in the form of Nic White. The youngster scored the winning try, allowing the Wallabies to defeat the All Blacks and win the Rugby Championship for the first time since 2011.

The Wallabies will now travel to New Zealand for the second match of the Bledisloe Cup, in hopes to win the tournament for the first time in over 10 years. Whilst New Zealand head back to the drawing board, in hopes to keep their dynasty alive.