New Zealand too strong for the Wallabies

All Blacks Win 27-7 at Eden Park

Eden Park in Auckland was the venue for Game 2 of the 2020 Bledisloe Cup.

After a tough 16 all draw last week it was anyone’s game today. It was a beautiful sunny day with not much wind, completely different to Wellington last week.

Australia took the kick-off and went on the attack being dominant in the scrums which earnt them a penalty.

The Wallabies got within a metre and half of the All Blacks try line, but the ball was stolen.

New Zealand got a flow happening, but Australia soon got back in the All Blacks 22 metre zone.

After missing last week’s game due to injury, Beauden Barrett returned for the All Blacks and he got a great charge down the right to take the action to Australia’s half. This seemed to knock the All Blacks up a gear with Beauden Barrett and Caleb Clarke both having solid runs which set them up for a penalty shot at goal. Richie Mo’unga took the kick and put the All Blacks on the board. 3-0 New Zealand.

Marika Koroibete had to ground the ball after another charge by New Zealand. The All Blacks got the scrum and with a simple play Aaron Smith was over the line for the first try of the game. Mo’unga converted the try. 10-0 New Zealand.

Australia lost their composure and weren’t playing calmly. They tried to play at breakneck speed which is All Blacks forte.

Hooper made a run down the middle then the ball was fed out to the left and they had the numbers for Koroibete to dive over the line for Australia’s first try. James O’Connor took the kick and converted. 10-7 New Zealand.

Joe Moody was injured in a tackle in the lead up to the try and had to leave the field. Shortly afterwards Matt To’omua left the field with a hip injury.

Both teams had a strong last ten minutes of the first half. Both were attacking hard, finding gaps and making big tackles.

The second half began and New Zealand scored within the first two minutes with Jordie Barrett crossing the line. Richie Mo’unga’s conversion kick hit the post. 15-7 New Zealand.

The All Blacks were on a roll and Caleb Clarke had a huge charge down the middle brushing off Australian players before the ball went out to the left and Ardie Savea scored in the 46th minute. Mo’unga pushed his kick wide. 20-7 New Zealand.

Australia came back strong in the 49th minute with Koroibete crossing the line but the ball was held up.

Then Brandon Paenga-Amosa placed the ball over the line for Australia in the 51st minute but it was ruled a double movement.

The All Blacks made their way back up field and with a queue of people lining up to score it was New Zealand captain Sam Cane that got the try in the 53rd minute. Mo’unga converted. 27-7 New Zealand.

Koroibete had another great run to get Australia back in the New Zealand half but there was no one around to support him.

Australia didn’t give up and kept fighting. They had some great set pieces moving the ball across the field but couldn’t break through the New Zealand defence.

Damian McKenzie came on the field for New Zealand and didn’t take long to make an impact by getting a good run down the middle.

Two minutes remaining, Australia had the ball but were being pushed back.

After the hooter Australia had a line-out and a scrum but a mishandling of the ball put it into New Zealand’s hands. From there the whistle came.

Australia were patchy throughout the game with too many handling errors. They will need to work on that over the next two weeks.

Tune in to 10 and 10 play on Saturday 31 October at 7:00 pm for Wallabies v All Blacks