- Prepare coals for Hibachi grill or BBQ.
- Place 2 shallots, zest of 2 lemons, sugar and salt in a bowl. Toss well to coat and set aside for 45 minutes to pickle. Add 125 ml olive oil and chardonnay vinegar, stir to combine and set aside until required.
- Place 1 tablespoon olive oil into a medium saucepan and place over medium heat. Add remaining 2 shallots and garlic. Sauté until translucent. Add reserved calamari intestines and eyes and 250ml water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and allow to simmer until a thick sauce forms, about 15-20 minutes. Pass through a sieve, add lemon leaves, and allow to cool. Once cool, remove lemon leaves, add Kewpie mayonnaise and stir to combine. Set aside, keeping warm, until serving.
- Cut fennel bulb into 4mm wide slices and place in a bowl. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil and toss to coat. Place onto prepared BBQ and cook for 5 minutes on each side. Remove from BBQ and place into a bowl. Add 10ml lemon juice, toss to coat and set side until required.
- Cut body and wings of calamari into large pieces and tentacles into 6cm lengths and place in a bowl. Add remaining tablespoon olive oil and toss to coat. Cook calamari on BBQ until medium and lightly charred, about 2-3 minutes on each side. Remove from BBQ and slice body and wings into thin strips. Add calamari to bowl of reserved shallot pickle and toss to combine.
- Peel remaining lemon, segment flesh then cut into small cubes. Add to the calamari mix and toss to combine. Add reserved BBQ fennel, mint leaves, fennel fronds and juice of one lemon and toss to combine. Season to taste.
- To serve, place a spoonful of ink sauce onto each serving plate. Top with Calamari mix and garnish with fennel fronds and fennel flowers.