Tomato Broth *see note
- Preheat oven to 250C.
- For the Tomato Salsa, crush garlic in their skins, halve the shallots and scatter over a lined baking tray.
- Add chillies, capsicum, tomatoes and the cherry tomatoes on the vine. Generously drizzle with olive oil and a generous amount of salt, toss to coat. Roast until browned, 30-35 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
- Reserve the vine cherry tomatoes. Discard the skins from the tomatoes, garlic and shallots. Transfer the flesh along with the remaining roasted ingredients into a food processor and pulse together for 20-30 seconds. Add the siwu tang, lemon juice and coriander leaves and mix ingredients together with a spoon. Season and balance the salsa with salt and sugar to your liking and set aside.
- For the Tomato Broth, finely slice the red shallots and roughly chop the garlic. Place a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add a generous drizzle of olive oil. Add the shallots and stir occasionally for 1-2 minutes, then add the garlic and continue to stir the shallots and garlic for another few minutes. Add honey and continue to stir the ingredients together for a minute. Cut the tomatoes into wedges and add to the saucepan along with 250ml water. Simmer for 5-10 minutes on medium heat, stirring occasionally. After 10 minutes, add vinegar and sauerkraut juice and simmer for another 10-15 minutes. Add salt and sugar, a little at a time and after 20-25 minutes of the broth simmering, add gochujang, mountain pepper leaves and lemon juice and simmer for 10-15 minutes. Taste and balance the broth with salt, sugar and extra lemon juice then remove from the heat. Strain through a fine sieve into a clean saucepan and reheat gently when ready to serve.
- For the Pickled Cucumber, dice the cucumber into ½ cm cubes and place into a bowl. Add the pickling juice, a teaspoon each of salt and sugar at a time until tangy, slightly sweet and salty in taste. Set aside to pickle for at least 25-30 minutes then drain well to serve.
- For the Garlic Oil, finely chop garlic. Place olive oil in a small saucepan over medium to high heat. Once hot, add the chopped garlic and stir occasionally for 3-4 minutes or until the garlic starts to turn a slight golden colour. Remove from the heat and strain, reserving garlic and oil separately and set aside.
- To ensemble, place five roasted cherry tomatoes into wide shallow bowls, approximately 2-3cm apart in a circle formation. Spoon pickled cucumber in between tomatoes and top with a teaspoon of tomato salsa and fried garlic. Gently pour warm broth to cover the base of the bowl. Drizzle a little garlic oil over the broth and garnish with coriander flowers.
*fresh garlic and honey have been substituted in this recipe to achieve a similar depth of garlic flavour and sweetness to the fermented garlic honey used by Linda during her cook.