Turmeric Flat Bread
Turmeric Curry Paste
- For the Turmeric Flat Bread, place ingredients, except butter and oil, into the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook. Mix on medium high speed for 2-3 minutes until a dough is formed.
- Remove bowl, cover with a tea towel and set aside for 20 minutes.
- When ready to serve, heat a large griddle frypan over medium heat.
- Divide dough into 4. Lightly flour the bench and roll out dough with a rolling pin to ½ cm thick. Add a quarter of the butter and oil to the pan and season with salt.
- Cook each portion of dough until browned, risen and cooked through. Remove from the pan and cut each into 4 to serve. Wipe out pan with paper towel. Add more butter and oil and repeat with remaining dough. Cover flatbreads with a clean tea towel to keep warm and set aside.
- For the Turmeric Curry Paste, place the dried red chillies into a bowl and cover with hot water until soft. Drain, cut in half lengthways, discard seeds and chop the flesh roughly. Set aside.
- Place the tamarind pulp into a small bowl and cover with 1 cup hot water. Press with a fork to soften and loosen the pulp. Strain through a fine sieve into a small bowl.
- Place 2 teaspoons oil and shrimp paste into a medium frypan. Cook over low heat for approximately 3-5 minutes, stirring regularly, until dry and fragrant. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Place the coriander and cumin seeds into a small frypan and cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Grind to a fine powder using a mortar and pestle. Add softened chopped chillies, turmeric, ginger, garlic and shrimp paste and grind to a paste.
- Place a large wok over medium heat. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil and the paste and cook until fragrant and lightly caramelised, about 4-5 minutes.
- Add the coconut cream, kaffir lime leaves, fish sauce, fresh chilli and 150ml tamarind water. Simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in fresh lime juice, to taste. Remove from the heat.
- For the Mussels, place a large saucepan over high heat.
- When hot, add the mussels and 1/3 cup hot water. Cover with a lid and steam for 2 minutes. Lift the lid to release steam then cover and cook for a further 1-2 minutes until mussels have opened. Remove from heat.
- Remove the mussels and set aside in a large serving. Reserve 3 tablespoons of cooking water and pass through a fine sieve and add to the Turmeric Curry Sauce. Stir through and season with sugar, fish sauce and salt, to taste.
- To serve, top the Mussels with the herbs and chillies to garnish. Pour the Turmeric Curry Sauce around the Mussels and serve with the Turmeric Flatbread on the side.