Tea Ice Cream
Tea Caramel Cream
- Prechill ice cream machine and prepare an ice bath. Preheat oven to 160°C.
- For the Tea Ice Cream, place milk, tea leaves and sugar into a saucepan. Bring to simmer then remove from heat and infuse for 2 minutes, or longer, to taste.
- Add condensed milk, glucose and gelatine and stir to dissolve. Strain through a fine sieve into a bowl set over ice bath. Gently stir until the mixture is cold, then churn in ice cream machine according to manufacturer’s instructions. Transfer to a container, cover and place into the freezer until needed.
- For the Tea Dusted Shortbread, line a large baking tray with a silicone mat.
- Place butter, flour, 125g caster sugar, cornflour and salt into the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Mix on low speed until a dough just comes together. Be careful not to over work dough. Working with ½ of the mixture at a time, roll out on a lightly dusted work surface to a thickness of 3-4 mm. Using a 5cm cutter, cut out circles from the dough and place onto lined baking tray.
- Bake until edges of the shortbread are golden, about 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and immediately transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Place remaining 55g sugar and the tea into a mini food processor and process until well combined. Place into a small sieve and dust over the cooled biscuits.
- For the Tea Caramel, place the cream and tea into a saucepan and bring to a simmer. Remove from the heat.
- In the meantime, place sugar into a small saucepan and allow to gently melt, swirling the pan occasionally until evenly caramelised to an amber colour. Carefully strain the warm cream through a fine sieve into the caramelised sugar and stir vigorously to combine. Reserve 3 tablespoons then pour the remainder into a serving jug.
- For the Tea Caramel Cream, place cream into the bowl of a stand mixer and whisk on medium speed, gradually adding the icing sugar, vanilla and tea caramel until soft peaks are formed. Transfer to a piping bag fitted with a 1cm round nozzle and set aside in the fridge until needed.
- To serve, crush four shortbread biscuits and divide between the serving plates. Create a well in the centre. Top with a quenelle of ice cream and garnish the side of the plate with a few berries and dots of tea caramel cream. Serve a piece of shortbread leaning to the side of the ice cream and drizzle with the caramel.
Note: store any remaining shortbread in an airtight container