Mint Choc Chip Ice Cream
Strawberry Ice Cream
Tempered Milk Chocolate
- Pre-chill an ice cream machine and prepare an ice bath in a medium bowl. Preheat oven to 180C.
- For the Mint Choc Chip Ice Cream, place the cream and milk into a small saucepan over medium heat and heat until just below boiling point. Remove from the heat. Add the spearmint leaves, stand for 15 minutes then discard the leaves.
- Place the egg yolks and sugar into the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a whisk attachment and whisk to combine. Slowly add the warm cream mixture until fully combined.
- Return to the saucepan and place over medium heat until mixture thickens and reaches 84C.
- Remove from the heat and strain through a fine sieve into a medium bowl. Place over the ice bath and stir occasionally until cold. Transfer to the ice cream machine and churn according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- Once churned, transfer ice cream to a container and drizzle with the cooled melted chocolate. Stir chocolate through gently until evenly distributed. Transfer ice cream to a container, cover and place into the freezer until required.
- For the Strawberry Ice Cream, place the strawberries and 2 tablespoons sugar over low heat until sugar has dissolved and strawberries have started to break down. Strain mixture through a fine sieve into a small bowl and set aside.
- Place the cream and milk into a medium saucepan and heat to just below boiling point. Add the strawberry syrup and whisk to combine. Remove from the heat.
- Place the egg yolks and remaining sugar into the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a whisk attachment and whisk until pale and thick. Slowly add the strawberry mixture and whisk until fully combined.
- Return the mixture to the saucepan and place over medium heat. Stir continuously until mixture thickens and reaches 84C. Remove from the heat and strain through a fine sieve into a medium bowl and place over the ice bath. Stir occasionally to cool.
- Transfer mixture to the ice cream machine and churn according to manufacturer’s instructions. Place into the freezer until required.
- For the Cola Jelly, place the gelatine into a small bowl and cover with cold water. Allow to soften then drain well and squeeze to remove excess water. Set aside.
- Place the cola into a small saucepan over a medium heat and bring to the boil. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Add the gelatine and stir until gelatine has dissolved. Strain mixture through a fine sieve into a small 12cm x 20cm baking dish and place into the fridge to set for 90 minutes. Cut into 1.5cm squares to serve.
- For the Raspberry Sherbet, place raspberries onto a baking tray and place into the oven until slightly dehydrated, about 30 minutes. Press with a spoon every 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and strain through a sieve and reserve the puree. Discard the seeds.
- Combine ½ tsp raspberry puree with the icing sugar and citric acid and stir to a powder. Set aside.
- For the Tuille, line a baking tray with a baking paper.
- lace the ingredients into a medium bowl and whisk to a smooth batter. Using a small offset spatula spread the batter onto the prepared tray to a thickness of 2mm.
- Bake until lightly golden and cooked, about 5 minutes. Remove from the oven and using a large 10cm round cookie cutter, cut out 4 circles. Return tuilles to the oven until golden, about 1-2 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- For the Tempered Chocolate, place the chocolate into a small microwave safe bowl. Microwave chocolate in 30 second bursts until 50% of the chocolate has melted. Remove from the microwave and using a spatula, mix the chocolate until all pieces have melted and the temperature has reached 29C. Quickly pour chocolate onto an acetate sheet and using an offset spatula spread out evenly. Cover the chocolate with a sheet of acetate and place into the fridge to set. Break into shards to serve.
- To serve, place squares of Cola Jelly into each serving bowl. Add a scoop of the Mint Choc Chip Ice Cream and top with a Tempered Milk Chocolate shard. Add a scoop of the Strawberry Ice Cream and sprinkle with Raspberry Sherbet. Top with a Tuille and fresh spearmint leaves.