Steamed Miso Snapper, Miso Poached Bugs, Popcorn Shrimp, King Fish Sashimi, Oysters and Pan Seared Scollops
- Preheat oil in deep fryer to 180C.
- For the Pickled Ginger, place ingredients and 125ml water into a small saucepan over medium heat and bring to the boil. Remove from the heat and allow to cool. Drain the ginger before using.
- For the Soy and Vinegar Dipping Sauce, combine the ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
- For the Wasabi Mayonnaise, crack the egg into the canister of a stick blender, taking care not to break the yolk.
- Add the oil, lime juice, salt and pepper and allow oil to settle on the surface. Place the cage of the stick blender over the egg yolk. Process briefly then slowly lift the stick blender through the ingredients until thick and emulsified. Add the wasabi paste and blend until incorporated. Place into a small bowl to serve.
- For the Miso Steamed Snapper, combine the miso, mirin and sake in a small shallow bowl. Add the snapper and coat in the marinade. Set aside in the fridge for 45 minutes.
- Half fill a medium saucepan with water and bring to the boil.
- Place the snapper into the base of a steamer basket and steam over the simmering water until just cooked though, about 4-5 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside on a small serving plate. Garnish with coriander.
- For the Oysters, shuck the oysters and top with 2 pieces of Pickled Ginger on each opened oyster.
- Reserve in the fridge then place onto a bowl of ice to serve.
- For the Kingfish Sashimi, remove the skin from the Kingfish and cut the fillet on an angle into 3-4mm thick slices. Place onto a small serving plate.
- Combine the remaining ingredients in a small bowl and mix together well. Spoon the dressing over the sliced fish and set aside in the fridge.
- For the Miso Poached Bugs, place the butter into a saucepan and place over medium heat.
- Add the miso and whisk until combined. Remove from the heat.
- Add the bug tails, cover with a lid and poach in the melted butter until just cooked through, about 10 minutes.
- Remove the bug tails and cut into medallions to serve. Set aside.
- For the Tuna Tataki, heat a medium frypan over medium heat.
- Whisk the egg white until light and foamy. Place the sesame seeds into a wide shallow bowl.
- Dip the long sides of tuna in the egg white then into the sesame seeds.
- Sear the tuna in the hot pan for 1 minute on each long side.
- Remove from the heat and slice the tuna in 7mm slices. Set aside.
- For the Seared Scallops, place a medium frypan over high heat. Add the oil and when hot, season the scallops and place into the hot pan. Sear for 30 seconds on each side. Remove from the pan and set side.
- For the Popcorn Shrimp, place 150g plain flour, the rice flour, soda water, salt and pepper into a bowl and whisk to a thin, mostly smooth batter.
- Toss the prawns pieces into the remaining 100g flour. Shake off excess and dip into the batter. Drain excess batter then fry the battered prawns until golden and crisp, about 5-6 minutes. Remove from the oil and drain on kitchen paper.
- To serve, place all elements onto a large serving board.