- Preheat oven to 180C fan forced. Bring a saucepan of salted water to the boil.
- Heat a medium frypan over medium high heat. Add the chorizo and cook until golden and the fat has rendered out, about 6 minutes. Remove chorizo from the pan and set aside.
- Add the garlic and onions to the pan and stir for a few minutes until just starting to soften. Add the capsicum and cook, stirring until golden brown, approximately 5-7 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Meanwhile, cook the macaroni in the boiling water for 1 minute less than the package directions. Drain well then transfer to a bowl. Add 30g butter and toss macaroni to coat in the butter.
- Meanwhile, place remaining 50g butter into a small saucepan over low heat and allow to melt. Add the flour and whisk constantly for 1-2 minutes. Gradually add the milk, whisking continuously until thickened.
- Add the tomato, paprika, cumin, saffron and whisk until combined. Add 2 tablespoons capsicum mixture and a few pieces chorizo. Mix and season to taste. Remove from the heat.
- Combine sauce and macaroni until evenly mixed. Transfer half to a medium sized baking dish.
- Scatter with half of the remaining capsicum mixture then half of the cheeses and chorizo. Repeat process with remaining ingredients.
- Cook in the oven until cheese has melted then change oven setting to 230C grill and cook until cheese is golden, about 2-3 minutes.
- To serve, sprinkle with parsley and finish with a squeeze of lemon juice.