Beef fat and shrimp paste dressing
Curry Leaf Dressing
Fried Prawn Legs and Curry Leaves
- Heat oil in deep fryer to 180C. Preheat oven to 100C.
- For the Macadamia Milk, place macadamias in a blender with 200ml water and process until smooth. Set aside for 30 minutes then strain through a fine muslin cloth or clean tea towel, squeezing gently to extract liquid. Add a small pinch of salt and set aside.
- For the Beef Fat and Shrimp Paste Dressing, place beef fat into a small saucepan and place over a low heat to allow fat to render. Meanwhile, place shrimp paste and fish sauce into another small saucepan with 40ml water to melt the shrimp paste and mixture forms a fluid paste. Add 2 tablespoons beef fat and whisk and split the dressing. Keep warm over a very low heat.
- For the Curry Leaf Dressing, place all ingredients except oil into a blender with one ice cube until smooth. With motor running, slowly add oil until a smooth, viscous texture is achieved. Strain into a bowl, place over ice and set aside in fridge.
- For Dried Tomatoes, cook cherry tomatoes in deep fryer until skin blisters. Remove from oil and refresh in iced water. Peel tomatoes and cut in half. Transfer to a small roasting dish season with 2 tsp reserved beef fat and shrimp paste dressing, malt vinegar and salt. Place into oven to dehydrate for 30-35 minutes until slightly collapsed but still holding shape. Remove from oven and set aside.
- For the Scorched Prawns, place salt and lemon leaves with 1 litre of water in a medium bowl. Add prawns and set aside in fridge to brine for 20 minutes. Remove from brine and sear in a hot pan for 1-2 minutes on each side until just cooked through. Remove from pan and set aside. Slice bodies of prawns into bite sized pieces and set aside.
- For the Fried Prawn Legs and Curry Leaves, fry prawn legs in hot until crispy. Fry curry leaves until translucent, remove from oil and drain on kitchen paper. Season both prawn legs and curry leaves and set aside.
- Deep fry the curry leaves until translucent, remove from oil and drain on kitchen paper. Season both prawn legs and curry leaves and set aside until ready to serve.
- To serve, reassemble Scorched Prawns into whole prawns onto serving plates. Cover with fresh and Dried Tomatoes, dress lightly with Macadamia Milk, Fried Curry Leaves and Prawn Legs. Garnish with bronze fennel fronds, parsley flowers and watercress tips. Dress with warm Beef Fat and Shrimp paste dressing. Serve with a spoonful of Curry Leaf Dressing on the side.