Salt Baked Beetroot
Smoked Butter Hollandaise
Crisp Beetroot Leaves
- Preheat oven to 180°C fan-forced.
- For the Salt Baked Beetroot, trim stalks from beetroots, reserving the beetroot leaves. Trim top off beetroot and half of the tail.
- Place salt in a Thermomix and process on high speed to a fine salt crystal.
- In a medium bowl, combine fine salt, flour, egg white and water and mix until a dough forms.
- Cut the dough in half. One at a time, roll the dough on a lightly greased bench to 5mm thickness.
- Place trimmed beetroots on the dough, fold edges over and pinch to seal beetroots inside. Place wrapped beetroots on an oven tray and bake for 55 minutes or until tender when tested with a skewer. Remove tray of beetroots from the oven and set aside until cooled enough to handle.
- Once cooled, use a pairing knife to gently peel skin off each beetroot and discard.
- For the Pickled Beetroots, use a pairing knife to gently scrape beetroots to remove excess dirt then rinse. Use a mandolin to thinly slice smaller beetroots, placing the golden and red in separate bowls. Julienne the larger sized beetroots and place in bowl with their same colours.
- Combine vinegar, water and sugar in a small saucepan and bring to the boil. Pour pickling liquid over beets and set aside.
- For the Smoked Butter Hollandaise, place butters in a single layer inside a large airtight container.
- Fill smoke gun with wood chips , turn on and ignite chips. Place the nozzle into the container, fill with smoke, quickly remove nozzle then seal container to seal the smoke inside. Set aside for 7 minutes.
- Place smoked butter in a small saucepan over medium heat and bring to the boil. When fat has separated from milk solids, remove saucepan from the heat. Pour the clarified butter into a jug and set aside, discarding the milk solids.
- Combine yolks and vinegar in the jug of a Thermomix and process on speed 3 at 80°C for 3½ minutes.
- Turn the heat off and whilst still processing on speed 3, gradually pour the smoked clarified butter into the jug. Season with salt and pepper and set aside in a warm spot.
- For the Crisp Beetroot and Sorrel Leaves, rinse leaves and pat dry. Place leaves in a bowl, drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Lightly grease an oven tray and place leaves in a single layer on the tray. Lightly grease the underside of a similar tray and place the tray on top of the leaves. Bake for 15 minutes until crisp but still green.
- Transfer leaves to a cold tray or wire rack and season again with salt. Set aside to cool.
- For the Sorrel Vinaigrette, juice Sorrel leaves only in a cold press juicer.
- Combine 30g of Sorrel juice, vinegar and olive oil in a small bowl and whisk to emulsify. Set aside.
- To serve, shred fresh Sorrel leaves and mix with the pickled beetroots. Season with salt and pepper.
- Spoon Hollandaise onto serving bowl and spread into a 10cm wide circle.
- Quarter Salt Baked Beetroots, drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place beetroots on top of hollandaise.
- Spoon Sorrel Vinaigrette over beetroots and place Pickled Beetroots on top. Garnish with Crisp Beetroot Leaves