- Preheat a large flat grill pan over low heat. Heat oil in a deep fryer or deep saucepan to 190C.
- Trim the carrots, keeping 3cm of stem attached. Wash the stems and scrub the carrots to remove any dirt.
- Place the carrots, chicken stock, honey and thyme into a medium frypan over medium heat and bring to a simmer. Cover and simmer for 8-10 minutes.
- Transfer the carrots to the grill pan, adding butter gradually, and cook until carrots are tender and golden, about 6-8 minutes. Turn the carrots several times.
- Remove the heat and season with salt and pepper.
- Drain the chickpeas thoroughly and gently pat dry with paper towel. Cook in the hot oil, in batches, until crispy, about 4-5 minutes.
- Remove from the oil and drain on kitchen paper. Season with salt.
- To serve, transfer the carrots to a serving plate and top with the crispy chickpeas.