Smoked bone marrow
- For octopus, remove outside skin from the octopus without removing suckers.
- Place octopus, port, Shiraz, shallots, garlic, coriander seeds, bay leaves and 100ml olive oil into a cryovac bag and heat seal.
- Bring a saucepan half filled with water to 72⁰C. Add octopus bag and cook for 90 minutes.
- Remove bag from water bath and place directly into a bowl of ice water to stop cooking process.
- Remove octopus and set to one side, strain braise liquid into a medium saucepan, place over a medium heat and reduce to a thick syrup. Cool, whisk in remaining olive oil and set to one side.
- For hilopites, place “00” flour into food processor, turn on, add the eggs and olive oil and process until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Slowly add enough milk until dough starts to form.
- Turn out onto a floured bench. Knead for 7-10 minutes or until dough is smooth. Wrap with cling film and rest for 30 minutes.
- Divide dough into 4 portions and flatten one portion with the palm of the hand and dust with flour. Take one pasta ball and using a pasta machine, laminate dough from the largest setting down to the second smallest setting taking care to pass the dough through each setting 2-3 times
- Cut rolled pasta into 40cm lengths, then pass through the fettuccine attachment. Cook in boiling salted water until al dente and dress with olive oil, salt and pepper
- For smoked bone marrow, line a deep baking tray with foil, add hickory chips, long grain rice, star anise and cinnamon.
- Place bone marrow onto a cooling rack, spreading it out evenly.
- Place prepared baking tray over a naked flame (BBQ, grill or gas top) allowing it to smoke
- Place the rack of marrow over baking tray and cover both with foil.
- keep baking dish over flame for 5 minutes, this allows it to distil and create its initial heat.
- Remove from flame and allow to stand, covered, for 1 hour.
- Remove bone marrow, place on a plate, cover with plastic wrap and place in the freezer to solidify.
- To serve, slice octopus legs into diagonal ovals 3mm thick, place into a bowl and dress with olive oil. Using a carving fork, twirl the fettuccine and place onto the plate. Arrange shaved fennel, radish, fennel fronds, lavender, rocket flowers