- Cream the butter, sugar and salt in a bowl. Add vanilla bean seeds and beat until fluffy. Add egg and mix to combine. Add almond meal and flour and mix until mixture forms a dough.
- Place between two sheets of cling wrap, flatten and refrigerate for 2 hours to rest.
- Flour bench, lay pastry on top and dust again with flour. Roll to a desired thickness and prick well with a fork. Cut rounds with a 12cm cookie cutter and lay into 10cm diameter tartlet cases. Gently press into tins to fit and roll over tartlets with a rolling pin to trim edges. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Bake at 160°C for approximately 20-25 minutes or until golden.
Pear Frangipane Tart
- Preheat oven to 160⁰C.
- Pour wine into a large saucepan, add honey, sugar, bay leaves, star anise, and pepper corns and bring to the boil. Add water and pears, cover, reduce heat to low and simmer for 30-60 minutes or until tender. Cook time will vary depending on pear size, the larger the pear the longer the cook time.
- For the frangipane, mix butter, sugar, yolk, almonds, flour and rum until light and fluffy.
- Fill tarts with a little frangipane and bake for 10 minutes.
- Using a melon baller or teaspoon measure scoop out the base of the pear to remove the seeds and some of the core. Using a small knife slice vertical cuts all around the pear and then twist the pear so that the bottom edges fan out a little.
- Place one pear on each tart and bake for 20 minutes.