- Preheat oven to 190C.
- Remove breasts and legs of the quail and set aside. Roughly chop the rest of the bones.
- For the quail jus, in a large frypan, add oil and brown the bones until golden all over. Add shallots and carrot and fry until softened. Add 200mls water and simmer until reduce by half. Add mandarin juice and season. Strain and set aside.
- For the confit quail, bring the oil up to 100C. Place the quail legs in the oil, cover oil with baking paper and cook over lowest heat until meat is starting to fall off the bone, about 30 minutes. Remove from oil. Just before serving, brown in a frypan on a high heat.
- For the quail breasts, season and rub in mandarin zest. Leave to marinate for 15 minutes.
- For the pumpkin puree, toss the pumpkin in1 tbsp oil and juice and season. Roast in the oven until softened, about 20 minutes. Fry shallots over a low heat with remaining tablespoon oil until translucent, for 4-5 minutes. Place pumpkin and shallots in a food processor and blitz until smooth. Add 2 tbsp confit oil and mandarin zest and blitz again until smooth. Push through a sieve. Adjust seasoning and keep warm until assembly.
- For the glazed carrots, place oil and juice in a frypan over medium heat. Add carrots and cook gently until browned and the juice has nearly evaporated.
- Place frypan on high heat with 2 tablespoons confit oil. Cook quail breasts skin side down for 2 minutes, then turn the breasts over and cook for a further 2 minutes. Remove from pan, cover and rest.
- To assemble, place pumpkin puree in the middle of plates. Lay carrots evenly across the puree. Place quail legs and breast on top of the carrots. Garnish with pine nuts, chervil and carrot tips and drizzle with