Thai Style Broth
Lemongrass Smoked Rainbow Trout
Sautéed Oyster Mushrooms
- Preheat oven to 200C.
- To prepare the rainbow trouts, remove the fillets, keeping the skin on. Pin bone the fillets and set aside in the fridge. Chop the frames finely and set all bones aside.
- For the Sweet and Sour Broth, place the shrimp paste onto a small sheet of foil and place into the oven for 3-5 minutes until toasted and fragrant. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- Heat a large saucepan over medium heat with some grapeseed oil. Add the fish bones and fry until lightly caramelised. Add the shallots, ginger, garlic and lemongrass. Cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Add the fish stock, tomatoes, fish sauce, tomato paste and palm sugar and 1 litre water. Allow stock boil for 35 – 40 minutes
- Add the toasted shrimp paste and stir to dissolve.
- Strain broth through a fine sieve into a large saucepan and add lime juice and salt, to taste. Cover with a lid to keep hot. Return to the boil to serve.
- For the Lemongrass Smoked Rainbow Trout, drain the lemongrass and chop into 2cm pieces.
- Line the inside of a wok with foil. Using another piece of foil, shape a wide shallow bowl and position in the centre of the wok.
- For the smoking mixture, place the rice and sugar to the lemongrass and mix until evenly combined. Pour into the foil bowl.
- Line a large bamboo steamer with baking paper and pierce with a knife to create holes. Cover with a lid, place into the wok and place wok over high heat.
- Once smoke begins to fill the basket, after about 5 minutes, place the trout fillets into the steamer, skin side down. Cover and smoke the fillets until just cooked, about 4-6 minutes.
- Remove the trout from the steaming basket and discard the skin. Place a fillet into each serving bowl and set aside.
- For the Sautéed Oyster Mushrooms, place a small fry pan over medium heat. Add the grapeseed oil.
- Add the ginger and mushrooms and sauté until soft and golden, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- To serve, scatter the Sautéed Oyster Mushrooms and ginger around the trout. Top with basil leaves and pour the hot broth around the trout and serve immediately.