Pickled Papaya Salad
Nam Jim Dressing
- For the Pickled Papaya Salad, place vinegar, sugar, water, star anise, coriander seeds, cinnamon and turmeric into a saucepan over medium heat. Stir to dissolve sugar and bring to the boil. Remove from the heat.
- Place the papaya into a glass or ceramic bowl. Pour the hot liquid over the papaya and set aside until cool. Remove the star anise and cinnamon and drain well.
- For the Nam Jim Dressing, place garlic, chillies and ginger into a food processor and process until very finely chopped, without forming a paste. Transfer to a bowl.
- Add the remaining ingredients along with 1 tablespoon hot water. Mix well until sugar has dissolved. Set aside.
- To finish the salad, combine drained papaya, Thai basil, mint, chilli, grapefruit and dressing in a bowl.
- To serve, arrange betel leaves on a large serving platter. Top with kingfish slices then some pickled papaya salad. Garnish with kaffir lime leaf and peanuts.