- Preheat oven to 200C.
- For the Roasted Fennel with Lemon, slice the fennel lengthways into 7mm slices. Lay 8 whole slices in a single layer in a non-stick roasting dish and reserve remaining fennel for the Jus.
- Slice a garlic bulb in half horizontally and place into the roasting dish with the fennel, cut side up.
- Slice half of one lemon into thin slices, remove seeds and add to the tray. Drizzle with olive oil and season generously with salt and pepper. Squeeze the juice from the remaining lemon half over the top of the fennel.
- Bake in the oven until the underside of fennel is caramelized and a little charred, about 30 minutes, turning the fennel slices halfway through cooking.
- Remove from the oven and discard lemon slices. Remove garlic and set aside for the potatoes.
- Arrange fennel over the serving plate and season lightly. Finish with a squeeze of lemon, the zest of ¼ lemon and a few fennel fronds. Set aside.
- For the Creamy Chicken and Tarragon Jus, place a large frypan over medium high heat. Add the oil and when hot, add the chopped chicken carcass pieces. Cook, stirring regularly, until golden brown, about 10 minutes.
- Add the shallots, carrot, fennel and celery to the pan and cook, stirring, until golden. Add the chicken stock and 2 sprigs tarragon and simmer until the liquid has reduced by almost half.
- Remove from the heat and strain the stock through a muslin lined sieve into a small saucepan. Add the pan juices and simmer over low medium heat until reduced by half. Whisk in the butter then whisk in the cream.
- Season well with salt and pepper and finish with chopped tarragon leaves of the remaining 3 sprigs of tarragon. Transfer to a jug.
- For the Hasselback Potatoes, cut potatoes in half lengthways. Place cut side down onto a chopping board. Cut widthways across each potato, in 4mm intervals, without cutting completely through.
- Place into a shallow non-stick roasting pan, cut side down and drizzle generously with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook potatoes until golden and crisp, about 40-45 minutes. When golden and cooked through, transfer potatoes into a medium frypan along with the butter, the pulp from one roasted garlic half and the tarragon. Baste the potatoes with the butter for 3-5 minutes.
- Remove potatoes from the pan and drain on kitchen paper. Arrange on a serving plate, flat side down and spoon the butter with some wilted tarragon and roasted garlic around the plate and set aside.
- For the Garlic and Lemon Crumb, remove crust from the bread and tear into small pieces. Place onto a medium tray and place in the oven until a little dry, about 6-8 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
- Transfer to a food processor and process to coarse crumbs. Finely zest the skin of one quarter of a lemon into the crumbs and stir to combine.
- Place a medium saucepan over medium high heat. Add the oil and when hot, add the garlic and fry briefly until fragrant. Add the breadcrumbs and cook, stirring continuously, until golden and crispy. Remove from the heat and set aside. Sprinkle over the Hasselback Potatoes before serving.
- Serve with a Roast Chicken.
Pair these sides with Nigella's Roast Chicken recipe