Haloumi and Mint Pasties
Date and Fig Jam
Pear and Preserved Lemon Salad
- Preheat oven to 200C.
- For the Haloumi and Mint Pasties, first make the pastry. Place the flour and a pinch of salt into a large bowl. Add 90ml of cold water. Add butter and use a butter knife to stir the ingredients until the mixture has almost come together.
- Lightly flour a clean work surface. Transfer the dough onto the floured surface and bring together to form a dry dough, careful not to over work. Shape the dough into a rectangle and wrap in cling film. Place into the fridge to rest for 10 minutes.
- Lightly flour a clean work surface. Once rested, remove dough from the fridge, unwrap and roll out onto the floured surface into a rectangle approximately 10cm x 30cm. Fold the shorter ends of the rectangle towards the middle to so that they overlap each other and create 3 layers. Turn the dough 90 degrees clockwise and roll out again to a 10cm x 30cm rectangle. Repeat the rolling and folding process a further 2 times. Wrap in cling film and return the pastry to the fridge until needed.
- Lightly flour a clean work surface. Remove pastry from the fridge and unwrap. Place pastry onto the floured surface and roll out to a thickness of 2mm. Use a 10cm circle cutter to cut out 8 rounds of the pastry and set aside on a paper lined tray until needed.
- For the filling, place haloumi, grated pear and chopped herbs into a medium bowl. Remove and discard pith from preserved lemon, finely dice the flesh and add to bowl. Add the cumin and coriander and mix well until combined. Season to taste.
- Divide the filling between pastry rounds. Brush beaten egg around edge of each pastry round and fold in half to encase the filling. Pinch the edges of the pastry to seal, then press down on the pastry edges firmly with a fork.
- Line a baking tray with baking paper. Brush the pasties with remaining beaten egg and transfer pasties onto the lined tray. Place into the oven to bake until golden and crisp, about 20-25 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- For the Date and Fig Jam, place figs and dates into a small saucepan with the remaining ingredients over a low heat and simmer until thick and caramelised. Remove from the heat and use a stick blender to purée until smooth. Transfer jam to 4 small ramekins for serving and set aside.
- For the Pear and Preserved Lemon Salad, first prepare the dressing. Place verjuice, pomegranate molasses, 4 teaspoons of the lemon juice and 1 teaspoon of the reserved liquid from preserved lemon in a small bowl and whisk to combine. Set aside.
- Finely slice the pear and place into a small bowl with remaining 1 teaspoon of lemon juice and 375ml water and set aside. Place pistachios into a small frypan over medium heat and cook, stirring regularly, until lightly toasted. Remove from the pan, roughly chop and set aside in a medium bowl. Add picked leaves, preserved lemon and pomegranate seeds to the bowl of pistachios and mix to combine. Set aside in the fridge until ready to plate.
- To plate, finish the Pear and Preserved Lemon Salad. Drain pears and add to bowl of salad ingredients. Add olive oil and dressing and toss to coat. Season to taste and spoon some of the salad onto each serving plate. Add Haloumi and Mint Pasties to each plate. Add a ramekin of Date and Fig Jam to each plate. Garnish the salad with baby mint leaves, pomegranate seeds and pistachios.