- Preheat sous vide machine to 68C.
- Place all the ingredients except brisket in a large bowl. Add 1 litre water and whisk to combine.
- Transfer mixture to a large sous vide bag. Add brisket and seal bag, removing all air.
- Place bag in sous vide machine and let cook for 24 hours.
- Remove bag from water and set aside in fridge to cool until serving.
- Place olive oil in a medium saucepan and set over low heat. Add onion halves, cut side down and cook very gently until caramelised and dark golden.
- Add the garlic and thyme and deglaze with white wine vinegar. Increase the heat to high, add the white wine and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat and simmer until reduced by half.
- Add the vegetable stock and simmer until reduced by half again. Remove from heat.
- Add bonito flakes and set aside to infuse for 45 minutes.
- Pass infused stock through a sieve into a medium saucepan. Place saucepan over medium heat. Add tapioca pearls and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, until tapioca is really soft, about 2 hours. Remove from heat.
- Transfer the tapioca mixture to a Thermomix and blend until a very smooth puree.
- Spread puree very thinly over Silpat lined dehydrator trays.
- Place trays in the Dehydrator until tapioca sheets are totally dry, about 24 hours. Remove the tapioca sheets from the dehydrator and break into pieces.
- Place canola oil in a saucepan and set over high heat to heat to 220oC.
- Add the tapioca sheet pieces to the hot oil and fry until brown and crispy. Remove from oil and drain on paper towel. Season with salt and set aside until serving.
Mustard Ice cream
- Place the milk, cream, glucose and trimoline in a saucepan and place over medium heat until heated to 85oC.
- Meanwhile, place egg yolks and sugar in a medium bowl and whisk to combine. While continuing to whisk, add a small amount of the hot milk and cream mixture to warm the yolks.
- Add the yolk mixture to the remaining hot milk and cream mixture and cook, whisking continuously, until thickened. Remove from heat.
- Pass the mixture through a sieve into a bowl sitting over an ice bath and set aside, stirring occasionally, until cold.
- Add the mustard and vegemite and whisk to combine
- Transfer the mixture to an ice cream machine and churn according to manufacturer’s instruction. Set ice cream aside, in freezer, to set until serving.
- Place a medium frypan over low heat. Add butter and when melted add the red onion slices. Cook, stirring frequently, until onion has softened, about 20 minutes.
- Add the sugar and vinegar and cook gently, stirring frequently, until the onions are golden and caramelized and a jam consistency, about another 10 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside until serving.
- Place the parsley and oil into a thermomix . Set the heat to 60oC and blend on speed 10 for 10 minutes.
- Strain the oil through a muslin lined sieve. Transfer to a squeeze bottle and set aside until serving.
- Preheat a griddle pan on high heat.
- Brush parsley lightly with olive oil. Place on hot griddle pan and cook until charred. Remove from heat.
- Roughly chop leaves from stalks, discarding stalks and season with salt. Set aside until serving.
- Remove the sous vide bag of brisket from the fridge. Remove brisket from the bag and pat dry. Using a meat slicer, slice the brisket into very fine slices.
- Place brisket slices on a tray and place under the grill to warm slightly.
- In a small pan warm some of the Caramelised Onion
- Place the warmed Brisket slices on serving plates. Add a little warmed Caramelised Onion, Dehydrated Onion, Grilled Parsley and a small quenelle of Mustard Ice cream. Dot with Parsley Oil and garnish with baby radish.