Smoked Coffee and Rum Ice cream
Salted Roast Chocolate Powder
Coffee Tuille Cones
- Preheat oven to 180C. Pre chill ice cream machine.
- For the Smoked Coffee and Rum Ice Cream, place cream and milk into a medium saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Add the instant coffee, rum and coffee beans and whisk to combine.
- Meanwhile, whisk the egg yolks and sugar together in a medium bowl. Whilst whisking, slowly add the milk and cream mixture. Return mixture to a saucepan and cook, stirring constantly, on a low heat until mixture thickens and coats the back of a spoon. Strain through a fine sieve into a bowl set over an ice bath. Once cool, fill bowl with smoke from smoking gun filled with apple chips. Cover tightly with cling film and set aside for 5 minutes. Transfer mixture to chilled ice cream machine and churn according to manufacturer’s instructions. Set aside in the freezer.
- For the Coffee Jelly, place coffee, rum, sugar and 250ml water in a small saucepan and set over medium heat, stirring until all the sugar dissolves. Squeeze out excess moisture from gelatine leaves then add gelatine to saucepan. Strain into a 8cm x 18cm shallow baking tray, skimming any foam off the top, and place in fridge to set. Once set, cut into squares and set aside.
- To make the Salted Roast Chocolate Powder, place chocolate onto lined baking tray. Roast for 15-20 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and set aside to cool. Transfer to a food processor, add tapioca maltodextrin and salt and process to a fine powder. Set aside.
- To make the Coffee Tuille cones, place all ingredients, except instant coffee, in a small bowl and stir until well combined. Spread batter into 2 x 16cm circles thinly on a sheet of parchment paper using an offset spatula. Sprinkle lightly with coffee powder. Bake until golden brown in the middle and brown on the sides, about 8-10 minutes. Working quickly, remove the circles from the baking paper, shape into cones and set aside to cool. Repeat process to make another two cones.
- To make Raspberry Marshmallow, place raspberry and caster sugar in a small saucepan and set over low heat. Simmer until mixture is thick, about 8 minutes. Squeeze out excess water from the gelatine leaves, add gelatine to the saucepan and mix until melted through. Strain into a bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a whisk attachment. Whisk the raspberry mixture until thickened, pale and creamy, about 10-12 minutes. Spoon into piping bag and set aside.
- To serve, secure Coffee Tuille Cones in the centre of each serving plate with a small dollop of the Raspberry Marshmallow. Pipe some marshmallow drops around the plate. Add some Salted Roast Chocolate Powder, Coffee Jelly, fresh raspberries and mint leaves around the plate. Place a scoop of Smoked Coffee and Rum Icecream at the open end of each cone.