Dill Ice Cream
Rhubarb and Raspberry Mousse
- Heat oven to 160C.
- For the dill ice cream, blanch dill leaves in boiling water and refresh in iced water. Pat dry and finely chop.
- Heat milk and cream to just under boiling point. Meanwhile whisk egg yolks and sugar in a medium bowl. Pour hot milk and cream into egg yolk mixture, whisking continuously. Return mixture to saucepan and stir continuously until mixture thickens and coats the back of a spoon. Remove from heat and cool over an ice bath. When cool, stir in blanched dill and churn in an ice cream machine, according to manufacturer’s instructions. Once churned, set aside in the freezer.
- For the granita, place sugar and water in a small saucepan and stir over heat to dissolve sugar. Add apple juice then freeze in a shallow tray. Freeze then scrape surface to make granita. Set aside in freezer.
- For the roasted rhubarb, cut stalks into 5cm batons and sprinkle with sugar. Bake until tender, about 15-20 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
- For the pistachio praline, place pistachios on a paper lined baking tray. Melt sugar over medium heat to a dark golden colour. Pour over pistachios and allow to set. Once cool, blend in a food processor to a fine crumb.
- For the rhubarb and raspberry mousse, place all ingredients in a saucepan and cook over a medium heat, stirring regularly, until fruit is tender. Strain and reserve liquid. Puree fruit then pass through a sieve. Transfer to a syphon gun and set aside.
- For the raspberry and rhubarb fizz, pour reserved liquid into a second syphon gun and charge twice. Shake and set aside.
- To serve, place a scoop of praline in the centre of each serving plate. Top with roast rhubarb. Charge syphon gun with mousse with two charges and dispense onto roasted rhubarb. Add a scoop of ice cream then top with granita. Divide sparkling wine between 6 small carafes. Top with raspberry fizz then stir to combine. Serve along side dish.