Crème Fraiche Parfait
Freeze Dried Raspberry Shard
- Pre-chill ice cream machine. Preheat oven to 60C.
- For the Peach Sorbet, bring a saucepan of water to the boil. Prepare an ice bath in a medium bowl.
- Place the peaches into the boiling water and cook until softened slightly, about 10 minutes. Drain the peaches and plunge into an iced water bath.
- Meanwhile, place the sugar and 200ml water into a separate saucepan and cook over medium heat until sugar has dissolved. Cook the syrup until it reaches 100C. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool.
- Once the peaches are cool enough to handle, peel and discard the skins. Cut the peaches in half, discard the stones and place the flesh into a blender. Add the sugar syrup and citric acid, to taste; blend on high speed until smooth. Strain through a fine sieve and place into the ice cream machine. Churn according to manufacturer’s instructions then place into the freezer until required.
- For the Crème Fraiche Parfait, place the sugar and 100ml water into a small saucepan and cook until temperature reaches 118C.
- Meanwhile, place the egg yolks into a bowl and beat with electric hand beater until thick and pale. Pour in the hot sugar syrup into the egg yolks while beating continuously, until cool.
- Add the crème fraiche and salt, to taste, and fold through. Fold in the whipped cream and mix gently until thoroughly combined.
- Pour into a lined deep 20cm x 20cm baking dish and level the surface with an offset spatula. Place into the freezer until firm.
- Use an 8cm round cutter to cut out 4 circles of parfait. Place onto a lined baking tray and return to the freezer to set completely.
- For the Poached Peaches, place the wine, sugar and the vanilla beans and seeds into a saucepan and place over medium heat. Bring to simmer and cook until the sugar has dissolved. Add the peaches and cook for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and cover with a lid.
- Set aside until soft but still holding their shape, about 25 minutes.
- Carefully remove the peaches from the poaching liquid and place onto a plate.
- Return the poaching liquid to the heat and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer until the syrup has reduced and resembles a runny honey consistency.
- Stir in the lemon juice and set aside. Warm over low heat, if required, to serve.
- For the Raspberry Shard, line a baking tray with baking paper and set aside in the oven to warm. Place the raspberries into a sieve and set aside in a bowl.
- Place the sugar in a saucepan and cook, swirling the pan occasionally, until the sugar is melted and turns into a deep amber colour. Remove the prepared tray from the oven and pour the caramel on the prepared baking tray. Wearing oven mitts, carefully tilt the tray to spread the praline evenly into a thin layer measuring at least 25cm x 25cm.
- Immediately dust the freeze dried raspberries over the praline and allow to set at room temperature.
- Place a 12cm round cutter onto an open flame to heat. Using a pair of tongs, place the hot cutter onto the praline and press down using a tea towel. Remove the cutter immediately and allow the praline to reset and firm into shape. Repeat to make a total of four rounds.
- To serve, remove the parfait from the freezer; top with a Raspberry Shard. Add a quenelle of Peach Sorbet and some Poached Peaches on the side. Serve with the peach syrup in a small jug on the side.