Coconut Ice Cream
Puffed Black Rice
Kaffir Lime Sherbet
- Pre chill ice cream machine. Preheat oven to 180C.
- For the Coconut Ice Cream, remove the flesh from a fresh coconut and place into a high speed blender with 250ml water. Process to a puree and transfer to a measuring jug. Add enough canned coconut cream to make up to 400ml coconut cream.
- Place into a saucepan with the remaining ingredients and place over a medium heat. Stir until ingredients are combined and glucose has melted. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool.
- Pour into an ice cream machine and churn according to manufacturer’s instructions. Transfer to the freezer until required.
- For the Coconut Granita, place ingredients into a blender and process until combined and smooth. Strain through a fine sieve into a deep tray and place in the freezer until frozen and set. Use a fork to scrape the surface and return to the freezer until ready to serve.
- For the Roasted Pineapple, place the rum, brown sugar and spices into a 20cm x 30cm baking dish. Add the pineapple and turn to coat with the rum mixture liberally.
- Remove the pineapple and place onto a wire rack set over a shallow baking tray. Rub the extra brown sugar over the pineapple and place both trays into the oven.
- Cook the pineapple for 30 minutes, basting the pineapple every 5 minutes with the rum mixture. Remove the pineapple and the basting mixture from the oven.
- Place the pineapple, ½ cup of the basting mixture and any juices from cooking the pineapple into a large frying pan. Cook over low heat until the liquid starts to reduce and form a caramel. Add the extra rum and butter and swirl the pan. Turn the pineapple in the caramel until well coated and caramelised. Remove from the heat.
- Using a blowtorch, blister the pineapple until caramelised and slightly charred. Set aside for serving.
- For the Puffed Black Rice, place the oil into a medium saucepan and heat to 180C.
- Add the rice and cook until puffed. Remove from the oil and place onto a paper towel to drain and cool. Toss the puffed rice through icing sugar. Set aside for serving.
- For the Kaffir Lime Sherbet, place the lime leaves into a spice grinder and process to a fine powder. Pass through a fine sieve into a small bowl. Add the icing sugar and citric acid to the bowl of powdered lime, a little at a time, until an acidic and sour sherbet is formed. Set aside for serving.
- To serve, place a piece of the Roasted Pineapple into the centre of four shallow serving bowls. Add a small piece of dragon fruit. Top with Puffed Black Rice, toasted coconut shavings, finely sliced kaffir lime leaf and grated dehydrated coconut, finely grated tonka bean and a sprinkling of Kaffir Lime Sherbet. Add some Coconut Granita, a scoop of Coconut Ice Cream and top with more puffed rice, toasted coconut and grated dehydrated coconut. Serve immediately.