Rhubarb and Apple Granita
Cinnamon Ice Cream
- Prechill an ice cream machine.
- For the Rhubarb and Apple Granita, pass the rhubarb and apples through a slow juicer and place the juice in a small saucepan. Add the remaining ingredients and place over medium heat. Bring to a simmer and stir until sugar has melted. Remove from the heat and set aside to infuse for about 5 minutes. Strain the mixture into a baking tray and set aside in the freezer until frozen, about 2 hours. Once solid, scrape the surface with a fork to create ice crystals. Return to the freezer until required.
- For the Cinnamon Ice Cream, place the cinnamon into a small saucepan and heat over medium heat until fragrant. Add the cream and milk and bring to a simmer. Remove from the heat and allow to infuse for 5 minutes.
- Place egg yolks and sugar into a medium bowl and whisk until pale and thickened. Pour the hot cinnamon mixture into the egg yolk mixture, whisking continuously to prevent the yolks from scrambling. Return mixture to the saucepan and place over low heat. Stir continuously with a silicon spatula until the temperature reaches 84˚C. Pour through a fine sieve into a wide bowl and place into the fridge to chill. Churn in the ice cream machine according to manufacturer’s instructions then transfer to a bowl, cover and place in the freezer until needed.
- For the Cinnamon Sugar, sift the icing sugar and cinnamon into a bowl and set aside until needed.
- To serve, spoon granita into six wide serving bowls and top with a scoop of cinnamon ice cream. Finish with a dusting of cinnamon sugar. Finish with a few flecks of flaky salt and serve immediately.