Cardamom and Cornflake Ice Cream
Cornflake and Nut Crumble
- Pre-chill an ice cream machine and an ice bath in a medium bowl. Preheat oven to 180C.
- For the Cardamom and Cornflake Ice Cream, place cream, milk, cornflakes and cardamon into a small saucepan over a medium heat. Bring to just below boiling then remove from the heat.
- Meanwhile, place the sugar and egg yolks into the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a whisk attachment. Whisk until light and fluffy.
- While whisking continuously, slowly pour half the cream mixture into the bowl and whisk until combined. Return to the saucepan and whisk until combined.
- Stir continuously over medium heat until mixture thickens and reaches 84C. Pour through a fine sieve into a medium bowl and place over the ice bath to cool.
- Transfer mixture to the canister of the ice cream machine and churn according to manufacturer’s instructions. Place into the freezer until required.
- For the Orange Cake, lightly spray four 5.5cm high narrow dariole moulds with canola spray and set aside on a tray.
- Place the butter, sugar and vanilla seeds into the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a whisk attachment. Whisk until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time, whisking well after each addition.
- Remove the bowl from the mixer. Add the flour, honey, lemon zest and juice and fold in gently with a spatula until just combined.
- Divide batter between prepared moulds and bake until a skewer comes out clean when inserted into the centre.
- Remove from the oven and cool in moulds for 5 minutes then carefully unmould cakes onto a wire rack to cool.
- For the Orange Custard, place a medium saucepan of water on high heat and bring to the boil.
- Place the orange juice, eggs, yolks and sugar into a metal bowl. Place over the simmering water and whisk for 5-8 minutes until the mixture is thick. Remove bowl from the heat, add the butter and whisk until combined.
- Cover the surface with cling film and set aside in the fridge to cool.
- For the Cornflake and Nut Crumble, line a shallow baking tray with baking paper and roughly crush the nuts using a mortar and pestle.
- Combine the nuts with the remaining ingredients and mix with fingertips until evenly combined. Spread over the prepared tray and cook until golden and crispy, about 10-15 minutes, stirring halfway through cooking time. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
- To serve, spread some Orange Custard in the base of each serving bowl. Add an Orange Cake to each plate. Sprinkle Cornflake and Nut Crumble around the custard and cake. Garnish with orange zest and finish with a scoop of Cardamom and Cornflake Ice Cream.