Cappalletti Pasta Dough
Chicken Jus Gras
Blue Cheese Mousse
- Preheat the oven to 200°C fan forced.
- For the Cappalletti Pasta Dough, half fill a saucepan with boiling water, season with salt and bring to the boil over high heat.
- For the Ricotta, combine milk and cream in a medium saucepan and warm to 87°C. Remove saucepan from the heat, add vinegar and salt and gently stir for 20 seconds. Set the saucepan aside for 5 minutes.
- For the Cappalletti Pasta Dough, add both continental and curly parsley leaves to the boiling water and cook for 45 seconds. Drain parsley from the water then refresh in a bowl of iced water for 30 seconds. Remove parsley from the water and squeeze to remove excess water. Roughly chop the parsley.
- Combine the flour, salt and parsley in the jug of a Thermomix and process on high speed for 1 minute. Scape the inside walls of the jug. Add the egg yolks, egg white and olive oil and process on high speed for 30 seconds to combine.
- Turn the dough onto a floured bench and knead until smooth. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and rest in the fridge for 20 minutes.
- For the Ricotta, gently pour curds and whey through a muslin lined fine sieve and set aside to drain for 20 minutes.
- For the Chicken Jus Gras, cut the chicken bones into small pieces. Place a small frypan over high heat and warm the olive oil. Add chicken bones to the hot pan and cook until golden brown on all sides.
- Strip curry leaves from the stem. Add the curry leaves, coriander seeds, peppercorns and vinegar to the chicken bones and cook for 1-2 minutes. Add the water to cover chicken bones and bring to the boil over high heat. Reduce frypan to medium heat and simmer for 15 minutes or until reduced to approximately ¾ cup quantity.
- For the Chestnut Crumb, use a sharp knife to carefully scrape flesh from the chicken skin. Stretch the chicken skin out flat between two sheets of baking paper. Sandwich the sheets of baking paper between two trays and bake for 15 minutes or until golden. Remove the top tray and top piece of baking paper and set the chicken aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, for the Chestnut Chips, use a small sharp knife to score around the circumference of each chestnut. Place chestnuts on an oven tray and roast for 7-8 minutes or until the skin of the chestnut splits. Whilst hot, peel the skin and husk off. Thinly slice the chestnuts.
- Meanwhile, for the Chestnut Crumb, use a small sharp knife to score around the circumference of each chestnut. Place chestnuts on a microwave safe plate and microwave on high in 15 second bursts until the skin of the chestnut splits, removing each chestnut from the microwave as they split. Whilst hot, peel the skin and husk off. Roughly chop the chestnuts.
- Place a medium frypan over medium heat and warm the olive oil. Add the chopped chestnuts and butter and cook until the butter foams and chestnuts are golden. Transfer chestnuts to a paper towel lined plate, season with salt and place in the freezer to cool for 5 minutes.
- For the Chestnut Chips, wipe the same medium frypan out with paper towel. Place frypan over medium heat. Add the sliced chestnuts and butter and cook until golden. Transfer chestnuts to a paper towel lined plate, season with salt and set aside at room temperature.
- For the Cappalletti Filling, place Chestnut Crumb in a small food processor and pulse to finely chop. Remove 2 tablespoons from the food processor, place in a bowl and set aside.
- Add ¾ cup of the Ricotta and the blue cheese to the small food processor. Season with salt and pepper and process until relatively smooth.
- Bring a medium saucepan of salted water to the boil.
- For the Cappalletti Pasta Dough, lightly dust each side of the dough with flour and use a rolling pin to roll to approximately 5mm thick. Pass the dough through a pasta machine, folding, turning and gradually reducing the setting from 1 to 6. Dust the dough lightly with flour if starting to stick to the machine.
- Use a zigzag pasta roller cutter to cut dough into 12cm squares. Place 1 heaped teaspoon of filling in the centre of each square. Lightly brush one half of the dough with the remaining egg white. Fold one side over the other and use the sides of your hands to press the edges and seal. Bring the two ends around in a circular shape to overlap and pinch to join.
- For the Chicken Jus Gras, strain stock through a fine sieve into a small saucepan and discard the solids. Boil the stock over high heat until reduced to a viscous consistency.
- Meanwhile, add cappalletti pasta to the boiling water and cook for 2 minutes or until al dente. Add kohlrabi leaves to the same water and blanch for 20 seconds. Carefully drain the pasta and the leaves.
- For the Blue Cheese Mousse, add cream to the remaining Cappalletti Filling and process until smooth.
- For the Chicken Jus Gras, gradually add the extra olive oil to the reduced stock whilst whisking to emulsify.
- For the Chestnut Crumb, break the chicken skin into small pieces and add to the reserved Chestnut Crumb. Mix together.
- Place kohlrabi leaves in the bottom of serving bowls. Place a quenelle of blue cheese mousse into the serving bowl alongside Cappalletti. Scatter Chestnut Chips and sprinkle Chestnut Crumb over the pasta and Mousse. Spoon Chicken Jus Gras into the serving bowl.