Creme Fraiche Ice Cream
- For the Blueberry Galette pastry, place the flour, butter and caster sugar into a food processor and pulse to a sand-like texture. Add egg yolks, salt and 1-2 tablespoons water and pulse until a ball of dough forms. Remove dough and knead lightly until a smooth ball forms. Flatten slightly, wrap in cling film and chill in the fridge for 1 hour.
- Heat oven to 180C. Prechill ice cream machine.
- Dust a clean work surface generously with flour. Unwrap and roll dough into circle with a thickness of 3mm.
- Trim to a neat circle and carefully transfer to a large baking tray. Return to the fridge to chill for 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle the dough with hazelnut meal. Pile blueberries into the centre and then bring the edges of the dough in and pinch together to create an open tart.
- Brush the crust with cream and sprinkle with demerara sugar. Bake until an even golden brown, about 40 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- For the Crème Fraiche Ice Cream, heat the cream until just below boiling point. Remove from the heat.
- Meanwhile, place sugar, egg yolks and egg into the bowl of an electric stand mixer and whisk together until pale and thick. Gradually add the hot cream to egg mixture, whisking continuously until combined. Return the mixture to the saucepan. Cook over low heat, stirring continuously with a silicone spatula until mixture thickens and reaches 83C.
- Remove from the heat and pass through a fine sieve into a bowl. Place over an ice bath to cool.
- Whisk in the creme fraiche then pour into ice cream machine and churn according to manufacturer’s instructions. Store ice cream in the freezer until needed.
- To serve, cut Galette into 6 pieces and serve with a scoop of Crème Fraiche Ice Cream. Garnish with thyme leaves.