Kalamata Ice Cream
Parisienne Cucumber and Apple
- Prechill ice cream machine and prepare an ice bath in a large bowl.
- For the Kalamata Olive Ice Cream, place olives into a saucepan with cream, milk and lemon juice. Process with a stick blender until olives are finely chopped. Place over medium heat and bring to just below boiling point. Remove from the heat.
- Place egg and sugar into the bowl of a stand mixer and whisk until creamy. While whisking, add ½ of the warm olive mixture and whisk until combined. Return to the saucepan and mix together.
- Place over medium heat and stir continuously with a silicon spatula until mixture thickens and reaches 83°C. Remove from the heat and pour through a large fine sieve into a bowl. Place over ice bath. Whisk in 2 pinches salt, or to taste and allow to cool.
- Churn in ice cream machine according to manufacturer’s instructions. Set aside in the freezer until required.
- For the Cucumber Granita, place a shallow baking tray into the freezer.
- Place ingredients into a small saucepan and place over low heat, stirring occasionally until sugar dissolves.
- Bring syrup to a simmer then remove from the heat. Sieve mixture into jug and pour onto the frozen tray. Return to the freezer.
- After 15-20 minutes, fork the granita to one side of the tray to break down large crystals. Scrape the surface of the granita regularly until a fluffy texture is achieved. Store in freezer until serving.
- For the Parisienne Cucumber and Apple, place 2 cups cold water into a bowl and add the lemon juice.
- Cut apple in half. Cut cucumber in half lengthways and scoop out 18-24 balls from the flesh of each, avoiding the seeds and place into the lemon water. Drain well to serve.
- To serve, scoop ice cream into shallow serving bowls. Add the cucumber and apple and cover completely with granita. Serve immediately.