Bacon and Egg Ice Cream
- Prechill ice cream machine and prepare an ice bath in a large bowl.
- For the Bacon and Egg Ice Cream, finely chop the bacon and place in a pan over medium high heat. Cook until very crispy then remove the bacon and reserve the rendered fat in the pan.
- For the anglaise, combine cream, milk, half of the crispy bacon, 2 tablespoons bacon fat and vanilla in a saucepan over medium high heat. Stir occasionally until small bubbles break the surface. Remove from the heat.
- Meanwhile, combine yolks, sugar, maple syrup and salt in a bowl and whisk to combine. Remove from the heat and slowly add just a little to the sugar egg yolk mixture, whisking continuously to temper the eggs. Repeat once or twice more before combining the mixture in the saucepan. Return to a low heat and stir with a silicone spatula until anglaise thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon and reaches 83°C. Strain mixture into a bowl and place over ice bath to cool. Pour into ice cream machine and churn until set. Transfer to the freezer until required.
- For the Potato Crisps, peel potato and slice 1mm thick using a mandolin. Place slices in a bowl of water for 5 minutes. Dry potato slices on paper towel and return pan with remaining rendered bacon fat back to a medium heat. Add potato slices and cook until golden and crispy, about 2 minutes. Remove from the pan and place on paper towel. Season generously with salt while still hot.
- For the Maple Peanuts, place peanuts on a baking tray and roast in oven for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool. Place into a food processor and process until finely chopped. Reserve 1 tablespoon for the caramel shards, then add maple syrup to the remainder and stir to combine. Season with salt, to taste. Set aside in an airtight container.
- For the Bacon Crumble, add the remaining half of the crispy bacon to a food processor and pulse to a fine crumb. Set aside.
- For the Caramel Shards, place the sugar into a saucepan over medium heat until fully dissolved and deep golden amber in colour. Pour the caramel onto a lined baking tray and sprinkle with the reserved chopped peanuts. Allow to set and become very hard, then smash into little shards.
- To assemble, place 2 tablespoons of Maple Peanuts on each plate as a base for the ice cream. Sprinkle some of the Bacon Crumb onto the peanuts, then scoop a generous quenelle of the ice cream on top. Top with some Bacon Crumb and Caramel Shards and Potato Crisps.