Melting Moment Biscuit
Coriander and Curry Leaf Tea Bag
Blue Cheese Mayo
- Preheat the oven to 160°C fan forced. Line a large oven tray with baking paper.
- For the Melting Moment Biscuits, combine butter and icing sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with whisk attachment and whisk on high speed until pale. Add the salt and coriander seeds and whisk through. Add the flour and custard powder and use your fingers to bring the dough together.
- Shape half-tablespoon (20g) portions of the dough into rounds and place on lined tray, evenly spaced apart. Dip a fork into a small bowl of flour and press the fork onto each dough ball to flatten to approximately 1.5cm thick.
- Bake biscuits in the oven for 15-18 minutes or until lightly golden.
- For the Chestnut Chips, half fill a medium saucepan with grapeseed oil and heat to 180°C.
- Use a small sharp knife to score the base of each chestnut. Place chestnuts in an ovenproof frypan and bake for 10 minutes or until the skin of the chestnut splits. Whilst hot, peel the skin and husk from the chestnuts.
- Remove the legs from the baby chicken and reserve for the Chicken Stock.
- Remove skin from the breasts and use a sharp knife to carefully scrape flesh from underneath the skin. Stretch the skin out over a baking paper lined tray and season the skin with salt. Cover with another sheet of baking paper and a tray and bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden.
- Remove one breast from the carcass and reserve boneless breast for the Raft. Remove the other breast from the carcass, keeping it on the breastbone and reserve for the Chicken Filling. Cut the remaining carcass into small pieces for the Chicken Stock.
- For the Chicken Stock, place a medium saucepan over high heat. Add the oil, baby chicken legs, wings, carcass trimmings and the stems of 2 curry leaf sprigs. Cook until golden brown all over. Cover chicken with water, reduce saucepan to low heat and gently simmer for 15 minutes or until flavourful.
- For the Coriander and Curry Leaf Tea, add curry leaves to the hot oil and fry for 20 seconds or until crisp. Drain curry leaves on a paper towel lined plate.
- Combine fried curry leaves and coriander seeds on a small square of muslin and tie to secure. Attach a length of string to the muslin like a teabag. Trim the muslin if needed.
- For the Blue Cheese Mayo combine egg yolks, vinegar and 1 tablespoon of oil in a small food processor and process for 30 seconds. Add 1 tablespoon of oil at a time, processing well after each addition until mixture becomes a thick emulsion. Add blue cheese and process until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, for the Pickled Kohlrabi, combine the vinegar and caster sugar in a medium frypan over low heat until dissolved. Meanwhile, use a mandolin to thinly slice the peeled kohlrabi. Stack the sliced kohlrabi and use a 4cm wide round cutter to cut disks from the kohlrabi. Remove frypan from the heat, add the kohlrabi, submerge in pickling liquid and set aside.
- For the Chicken Filling, strain Chicken Stock through a fine sieve into a small saucepan. Bring stock to the boil over high heat. Reduce saucepan to low heat. Add baby chicken breast on the bone into the stock, cover with a lid and remove saucepan from the heat. Set aside for 15 minutes or until breast is just cooked through.
- For the Chestnut Chips, use a mandolin to thinly slice the chestnuts. Add sliced chestnuts to the hot oil and fry for 3-4 minutes or until golden brown. Use a slotted spoon to remove the chestnuts from the oil and drain on a paper towel lined plate. Season with salt.
- Add curry leaves to the oil and fry for 30 seconds. Remove curry leaves from the oil and drain on paper towel. Remove chestnuts from the oil and drain on the same paper towel lined plate.
- For the Chicken Filling, remove chicken breast from the stock and when cool enough to handle, remove flesh from the bone and dice into 5mm pieces. Discard the bone.
- Combine the diced chicken, diced kohlrabi and Blue Cheese Mayo in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper and mix to combine. Transfer remaining Blue Cheese Mayo into a squeeze bottle.
- For the Chicken Stock Raft, combine chicken breast, egg white, coriander seeds, salt and curry leaves in a small food processor and process to form a paste.
- Gently whisk the Raft into the stock. Place saucepan over low heat and simmer. Continue to simmer until the stock is clear. Carefully pour the stock and raft through a muslin-lined sieve into a small saucepan. Discard the raft.
- Break the crispy Chicken Skin into bite size pieces.
- To Assemble, turn half the biscuits flat side up. Place a generous spoon of Chicken Filling onto the upturned biscuits. Top each biscuit with a piece of Chicken Skin and another biscuit. Pipe a spiral of Blue Cheese Mayo on the serving plate. Place filled biscuits on the plate.
- Drain kohlrabi from the pickling liquid. Fan the Pickled Kohlrabi around a serving plate. Garnish with nasturtium leaves.
- Gently toss Chestnut Chips, curry leaves and coriander seeds together. Place into a small serving bowl.
- Pour the hot Chicken Stock into a teapot and steep the tea bag in the liquid.