Orange and Cherry Sauce
Dorrigo Duck Breast
- For the Duck Stock, place a frypan over medium high heat. Add duck bones and cook until golden. Add the leeks and cook until golden. Transfer to a pressure cooker.
- Add remaining ingredients, seal pressure cooker and cook on high pressure for 30 minutes. Skim fat from the surface and discard. Strain the stock through a fine sieve into a saucepan. Allow to simmer over low heat.
- For the Orange and Cherry Sauce, place stock, juices, juniper berries and spices into a frypan. Bring to the boil then simmer over medium heat until liquid has reduced and thickened. Pass through a fine sieve into small saucepan.
- Whisk in butter, one cube at a time, until sauce has emulsified. Stir in muntries and salt, to taste. Cover and set aside.
- For the Beetroot Pickle, shave beetroot thinly (1mm) on a mandolin and trim into 2.5 cm circles. Make a cut from the centre to the edge of each beetroot round. Place into a bowl.
- Place remaining ingredients into a saucepan and bring to a simmer. Remove from heat and pour over beetroot. Set aside to pickle for 20 minutes. Drain well.
- Heat oven to 200C.
- For the Dorrigo Duck Breasts, toast the pepper in a small frypan until fragrant and starting to pop. Remove from the heat and allow to cool. Grind to a fine powder using a mortar and pestle.
- Score the skin of the breast and rub with all over with salt and ground Dorrigo pepper.
- Place duck, skin side down into a medium cold frypan and place over low heat. Allow fat to render from skin for 15 minutes. Turn the breasts to seal the flesh side then remove from the pan and set aside to rest for 10 minutes.
- When ready to serve, drain fat from pan and return breasts to pan, skin side up. Cook in the oven for 6 minutes then return frypan to a low heat. Add butter to the pan and baste the breasts until internal temperature reaches 47C. Remove from the pan and allow to rest for 10 minutes. Slice each breast in half and trim into rectangular portions.
- To serve, curl each beetroot slice into a cone and arrange cones into a dome shape on each plate. Sprinkle with a little ground Dorrigo pepper and garnish with a fennel frond. Add a portion of duck. Spoon sauce onto plates and serve.